Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Random Thoughts

So! I read the week 5 of ethic and law. two main questions till now:
-why hacker ethics is compared to capitalism only and not to any other ideology?
-what was the internet age's role in the whole "different people's" integration?

  1. informative to others:they are not that different after all, 
  2. informative to themselves:information that made their life easier,like the Estonian website that tells about accessibility facilities around the country 
  3. hiding screen: it made it possible to participate without showing the difference to others
  4. it opened new possibilities to work and be effective without a lot of physical activity, nowadays for many jobs we just need to have a brain!

2 comments:

  1. Good questions. My take on those:
    1. Hackers seem to both go along with capitalism (free enterprise, initiative, meritocracy) and oppose it in some points (money is not a top priority). I agree that the sources I used tend to focus on Western hackers (those in e.g. North Korea, Russia, China or Saudi Arabia may have quite different values). But coming to ideologies - I guess quite many of them will get excluded by critical thinking prevalent among hackers.
    2. Internet age and "different people" - I think this is where we can witness a lot of changes in near future. Last year I worked with a hospice in Tallinn - they noted that among the people nearing the end of their lives, more and more are digitally literate. So things will perhaps change pretty much here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it took me long to think about this clearly... since then I found out that one of my friends got a diagnosis for cancer. recently she is actively publishing her thoughts and even became an activist for spreading "stem cell donation".
    I dont know what is her motivation and drive to do this, and I dont dare to ask.
    maybe leaving something behind, or doing something that effects other's lives is something that we all want to do. just in case of illnesses, we suddenly realise that our time might not be that long to do it , and we must start..

    ReplyDelete