Wednesday, September 17, 2014


100 Paper Challenge! 

or

Quick and Dirty Reviewing


the questions we supposed to answer after doing the task:

  • How did you get to the 20 most important concepts? Briefly describe the process and the underlying rationale.
- I marked the papers that were interesting to me while I was reviewing , those ones were less than 20 so I went back to the ones with best ratings(my own rating) and selected some from them. the criteria to choose them were: 1)the idea was very new and exiting to me. 2)the work seemed very useful and addressed some big problems that could improve individual's life. 3)it contained some knowledge that I lack and would like to learn more about. 4)the subject is something that I may consider as a topic of my future work or research.
  • What was the overall experience of the QnD Review?
- It was kind of challenging, but the reference paper about QnD review helped me to gain some insight.
and the best outcome of it for me was that, after this I have much more idea on what kinds of work is going on in the HCI field and which ones can be related to my background and which ones may be my future interest.
  • Which are the two most interesting papers you would like to read more deeply? (Provide the full citation with DOI number, so that we can find the paper later)
- maybe:

Sitwat Langrial, Harri Oinas-Kukkonen, Päivi Lappalainen, and Raimo Lappalainen. 2013. Rehearsing to control depressive symptoms through a behavior change support system. In CHI '13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI EA '13). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 385-390. DOI=10.1145/2468356.2468425  http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2468356.2468425

 Elisa D. Mekler, Florian Brühlmann, Klaus Opwis, and Alexandre N. Tuch. 2013. Disassembling gamification: the effects of points and meaning on user motivation and performance. In CHI '13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI EA '13). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1137-1142. DOI=10.1145/2468356.2468559 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2468356.2468559 
  • How much time did you spend on this homework? 
I guess I am not the fastest one! as I read on the QnD review paper that it should take ~6 hours. for me it took at least 10 hours.
  • What was the most difficult part of this homework?
after 60-70 papers I was totally bored(although I didn't do all the reviews at the same day) and was not interested to actually look at the papers and their content in a creative way. so before that, by reviewing each paper I would think how could I improve or use this work .. but in the second half I just wanted to finish it!
  • How to make the quick and dirty review better?
I guess 50 papers also could do the same job and would be less tiring and boring.
maybe this suggestion is more to the paper authors rather than reviewers but the structure of the paper, clear titles, and descriptive abstracts can make it faster and less frustrating.


No comments:

Post a Comment