Thursday, September 25, 2014

An Internet fraud
of my experience


I used to live in Munich just before I come to Estonia and it is extremely difficult to find a flat there, specially being foreigner and not knowing german.
Getting help from an agency is kind of difficult because you dont speak german and they are very busy! there are some websites that both individuals and agencies put their offers with photos and descriptions and so on, very much like city24 here.
I was desperately searching for a flat (for quit long actually ) when I encountered this scam. I believe that there were many more fishy offers in there, but I didnt write to the offers that were too good to be true ,in the first place.
 it was a normal flat, nothing was strange about it, price was normal, photos were ok and address existing..
I wrote to him in english because it is better that you show you dont know german from the beginning rather than pretending to know, in german people's eye! (I guess they consider writing in german as a written confirm that you know german, and if in practice you dont, it is a lie to them!)
And.. he wrote back in english! it was a very good sign that someone replied and better that he speaks english(better: is willing to speak english!) I was very excited about it and I wrote back ..
after a few emails(maybe 2-3) he said that he has this flat in munich abut he lives somewhere else(I dont remember exact location) and he wants to rent this flat which is fully furnished and bla bla, he wrote whole story of his life that why he is there and what is this flat and so on.
finally he said that he needs to send the keys to me because he cant come personally to sign the contract and he asked me to transfer the deposit amount to him.
I was so desperate that I could do what ever he said if the he would give his bank account, but he asked to use some weird money transfer method. the money he was asking was not a huge amount 700 euros or so.
compared to the scams I read in the scambaiting websites, this one was really believable and well designed. still the part that he wrote a whole life story was strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment